The Gospel According to Matthew – Sept through Nov 2021
Back in April we started a journey by asking a question, “What if we quieted the noise of this cultural moment by leaning into the Gospel According to Matthew one story at a time?” The hope was doing so would help us (re)discover Jesus as he was, and is.
To be honest, we had no idea how long we’d go or how deep into Matthew’s Gospel we’d get. But, after spending the spring in Matthew chapters 1 thru 4, and the summer in chapters 5-8, the overwhelming sense we’re getting is that most of us want to keep going. Something about the experience seems to be helping as we deconstruct and reconstruct how we think about and relate to God.
Something feels different. The world isn’t what it was in 2019. Maybe staying close to one of the original biographies about Jesus can help us reorient our lives in light of all that has changed. We’d love for you to join us on Sundays downtown at Grandstreet Theatre at either 9:00 am or 10:45 am. If you’d like to read along, below is a breakdown of the sections for September thru November. Also, we have several “Book Groups” meeting during the week to talk through Matthew as well as NT Wright’s Matthew for Everyone book.
- September 12th: What’s the Value of Forgiveness? What’s the Cost? – Matthew 9v1-13 – Mind Map
- September 19th: Decided, Amazed or Open? – Matthew 9v14-34 – Mind Map
- September 26th: A Transition to Sent? – Matthew 9v35-10v42 – Mind Map
- October 3rd: A “Love Your Enemies” Field Test – Matthew 11v1-19 – Mind Map
- October 10th: A Simpler Way Forward? – Matthew – 11v20-12v14 – Mind Map
- October 17th: 1 Corinthians: RECALIBRATE – Brian Hopkins
- October 24th: Clear On Vocation? – Matthew 12v15-21
- October 31st: Accounting for Evil – Matthew 12v22-50
- November 7th: Which Kind of Soil Are You? – Matthew 13v1-23
- November 14th: Getting the Hell Out of Earth – Matthew 13v24-53
- November 21st: The Trouble With Family – Matthew 13v54-58
- June 6th: Since We’re on the Topic of Brutality – Matthew 5v21-26
- June 13th: Since We’re on the Topic of Sexuality – Matthew 5v 27-32 – Mind Map
- June 20th: A Way with Words – Matthew 5v33-37 – Mind Map
- June 27th: Loving Our Enemies – Matthew 5v38-48 – Mind Map
- July 11th: Sabotage By Way of People Pleasing – Matthew 6v1-18 – Mind Map
- July 18th: Sabotage By Way of Scarcity – Matthew 6v1-24 – Mind Map
- July 25th: Non-Coercive Love – Matthew 7v1-12 – Mind Map
- August 1st: Why Pray?
- August 8th: Do All “Ways” Lead to Human Flourishing? – Matthew 7v13-29 – Mind Map
- August 15th: How Does Jesus Want Us to Believe? – Matthew 8v1-17 – Mind Map
- August 22nd: Little Faith and Your Imagined Future – Mind Map
- August 29th: A Year (and a Half) In Review – Mind Map
August 29th – A Year (and a Half) In Review