The Gospel According to Matthew
In light of all we’ve been through, all the grief, all the questions, all the disorientation, all the reorientation, all the conflict, all the division, and all the new opportunities, we thought it might be refreshing to spend the spring taking a long look at Jesus from the perspective of the Gospel of Matthew.
We’ve never done this, but starting April 11th we’re going to work through Matthew’s Gospel chapter by chapter in order to recenter around the person of Jesus. Who was He? How was He understood? What did it mean then and what does it mean now? I think it’ll be plenty personal, plenty relevant to everyday life, and plenty reorienting around the most awesome person to ever live.
I hope you’ll join us on Sundays starting April 11th. Also, there are a handful of book groups that will gather weekly to spend time processing The Gospel According to Matthew. For more information on the groups please email Tommy at email@example.com or find us on Facebook.
Finally, if you’re looking for some resources to use in your own chair time I’d recommend NT Wright’s commentary Matthew for Everyone (part 1) as well as Tim Mackie’s podcast series on Matthew which you can find on his podcast stream Exploring My Strange Bible.
- April 11th: Matthew 1 – No Social Distancing Required – Mind Map
- April 18th: Matthew 2 – Quickly Forgotten and Easily Replaced, But… – Mind Map
- April 25th: Learning to Walk in the Dark – Hannah!
- May 2nd: For Reals (Matthew 3v1-12)
- May 9th: Gay will be speaking on Mother’s Day!
- May 16th: A Suffering Servant?! (Matthew 3v13-4v17)
- May 23rd: Mamzer (Matthew 4v18-5v16)
- October 4th: What if Jesus Is More Than Your Personal Spiritual Director & The Gospel is About Way More Than Private Spirituality? – Mind Map
- October 11th: Blame God, People in Power Was His Idea – Mind Map
- October 18th: A Civil Discourse Real Play
- October 25th: Transcending Control Via Condemnation – Mind Map
- October 30th: You Want Me to Pray for Who? – Mind Map
- November 1st: Narrate Prayer Gathering – Guide
- November 8th: Jesus 101 – Mind Map
- November 15th: The Art of Letting Go – Mind Map Q&A
- November 22nd: Doing the Work of Thanksgiving, Despite COVID – Mind Map
- November 29th: Jesus and Mr. Potato Head – Mind Map
- December 6th: An Invitation to Rethink Your Job – Mind Map
- December 13th: Rethinking Fear – Mind Map
- December 24, 2020: Confusion + Attention = Growth – Mind Map
- January 3, 2021: A More Hospitable Approach – Mind Map
- January 10, 2021: Centering Prayer 101 – Mind Map
- January 17, 2021: Making Peace with the Future – Mind Map
- January 24, 2021: Slow Down – Mind Map
- January 31st: Scary Fact – Bad is Stronger Than Good – Mind Map
- February 7th: Scary Fact – Relationally Speaking, Bad is Stronger Than Good – Mind Map
- February 14th: Q & A with Roy Baumeister
- February 21st: Scary Fact – Life Has a Way of Encouraging a Low View of People – Mind Map
- February 28th: Adam I Versus Adam II – Mind Map
- March 7th: Beyond Moral Individualism – Mind Map
- March 14th: A Critical Approach to Sacred Scripture – Mind Map
- March 21st: A Thanks, A Question, and An Invitation Walk Into a Gathering – Mind Map
- March 28th: It’s Not A Straight Line – Mind Map
- April 4th: Easter 2021 – Why Did Jesus Frame His Death Around Passover? – Mind Map
April 11th – No Social Distancing Required